How can the White House's e-petition website and process be improved?

Allow comments on White House Responses

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RobertRobert shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dr. Katherine BolmanDr. Katherine Bolman commented  · 

David, I was talking to the speaches Barac Obama makes, not petitions. From my point of view, there are so many positive things he has done that are not known by lots of people, including me.
        Health care is one area that I would like to know what is actuall happening now more than what is going to happen? Are the children covered now or is that yet to come? I would like to see some way that the requirement to have health insurance is the same as having car insurance.

Is there a way to do this?
        Katherine

• DavidAdminDavid (Admin, AmericaSpeaks) commented  · 

In a perfect world, I'd also like to see this...so I'm giving it a vote.

But let me play devil's advocate for a minute. Think about the work this creates for the White House -- even if they do everything right they're going to get lots of angry people commenting on their petition responses. Many will say inappropriate things, so the White House staff will need to watch the comments closely and remove the offensive ones. This will require a significant amount of staff time -- time that can no longer be spent on directing petitions to the right place or building new features for the platform or all the other things that can make this platform valuable. So I worry that they'd react negatively to this request.

In contrast, commenting on the petitions themselves seems safer. I'd expect most of the traffic to the petition page will be from petition supporters, so most of the commenters will contribute comments that are positive in tone. That might be a better place to start.

Of course, much of this is conjecture. Perhaps simply experimenting with having comments on different pages on the site is the best way forward.

• Dr. Katherine BolmanDr. Katherine Bolman commented  · 

It would be wonderful if someone could take apart some of the speaches that have depth and post them here for comment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base